Living in the world

June 15, 1884 

PRATAP: "Revered sir, are those who live with you making progress in spiritual life?"

MASTER: "I tell people that there is nothing wrong in the life of the world. But they must live in the world as a maidservant lives in her master's house.'
Referring to her master's house, she says, 'That is our house.' But her real home is perhaps in a far-away village. Pointing out her master's house to others, she says, no doubt, 'This is our house', but in her heart she knows very well that it doesn't belong to her and that her own house is in a faraway village. She brings up her master's son and says, 'My Hari has grown very naughty', or 'My Hari doesn't like sweets.' Though she repeats, 'My Hari' with her lips, yet she knows in her heart that Hari doesn't belong to her, that he is her master's son.
"Thus I say to those who visit me: 'Why don't you live in the world? There is no harm in that.
But always keep your mind, on God. Know for certain that house, family and property are not yours. They are God's. Your real  home is in God.' Also I ask them to pray always with a longing heart for love of God's Lotus Feet."

Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna
Chapter 23, Festival at Surendra's house

Popular posts from this blog

Signs of God vision

Practice of Continence

Supreme power of Ādyāśakti